How to Configure SMTP in WordPress
Do you want to configure SMTP in WordPress but don’t know how to do it? In this article, we will show you how to configure the SMTP plugin in WordPress.
But before we start the guide, let’s first discuss what WordPress SMTP is.
SMTP or Simple Mail Transfer Protocol is a software that can be used to send email.
By default, WordPress can send you emails when there are new comments, registrations, updates, and when someone fills out a contact form.
WordPress uses the PHP Mail function to send emails, but it is not effective because email delivery can be interrupted.
For example, when you send an email using PHP Mail will often go to the spam folder. In addition, popular email services such as Gmail and Hotmail will immediately consider it as spam. Therefore, you need to install an SMTP plugin to avoid this.
Why use SMTP Plugin in WordPress?
Nowadays many hosting companies set limits or even disable the PHP Mail function on their services. It aims to reduce abuse by users.
But as an alternative, you can still use the SMTP protocol to send emails with advantages such as:
- Emails sent using the SMTP protocol will be the same as DNS records.
- SMTP requires authentication.
If the SMTP server is configured correctly by the hosting provider, it is unlikely that the sent email will be considered spam.
In this tutorial, we will show you how to configure email in WordPress using the SMTP server protocol provided by your hosting service.
Provide SMTP Server Hosting Details
To be able to use the SMTP service, you must prepare the required login details as follows:
- SMTP Host = Name of outgoing mail server (your domain).
- SMTP Port = Port for sending email to the mail server.
- SMTP Username = Username to login to mail server.
- SMTP Password = Password to login to the mail server.
If you don’t have the above information yet. Follow these steps to make it.
1. Create a new email account via cPanel hosting, if you don’t have one yet.
2. In cPanel hosting, find and click Email Accounts. Then click Connect Devices on the email address you want to configure.
3. Now you will see the required SMTP details. Remember to use the ‘Outgoing Server’ port.
You now have SMTP server login details. Next is to configure your WordPress site.
Install and configure SMTP Plugin in WordPress
To configure an SMTP server in WordPress, you can use the Easy WP SMTP plugin which is available for free.
Please follow the steps below to install and configure the WordPress SMTP plugin.
2. Then in the left pane, click Settings > Easy WP SMTP to open the plugin configuration page.
3. In the ‘SMTP Settings’ section, enter the login details you got from cPanel hosting.
4. When finished, you can try sending an email to find out whether the configuration is correct or not. Open Test Email in Easy WP SMTP, and fill in the destination email details.
5. If all configurations are correct, you will see a green success message at the top of the page.
If a message like that appears, it means that the installation and configuration of the SMTP plugin was successful. Now all emails will use the SMTP protocol instead of PHP Mail. If you still have problems, please contact your hosting provider.
We hope this article helped you learn how to configure SMTP in WordPress. You may also want to see our article on how to install Google Analytics in WordPress.